I’m Nancy Escalante and I’m a graduate student working towards an MA in History. My research interests include transnational networks of solidarity between women in Central America and Latinxs in the U.S., feminist and women’s studies, and Latin American history. During my free time, I enjoy quoting the Simpsons, catching up on TV shows, listening to podcasts, and sharing memes.
![]() |
| Photo courtesy of Carlos Carbajal |
I began working at the JFK Memorial Library Special Collections and Archives during the Spring 2017 semester in January. I first heard about the Special Collections and Archives from professors in the History Department who encouraged me to explore what our archives have to offer. My experience here has been enriching in various aspects. I have had the opportunity to work on a wide range of projects during my time here. Currently, I am processing the John C. Holland Papers, which is one among our various collections on Los Angeles public officials. Beyond that, I have had the pleasure of working on exhibits and displays--such as a Halloween display, an exhibit on Mesoamerican art and literature, and a display honoring Women’s History Month--all using primary source documents from the various collections in our repository and books from the JFK Memorial Library’s circulation. I especially enjoy these projects because they allow me to work closely with my coworkers--who are all amazing, dedicated, and inspiring--but they also allow me to be creative in the work that I am doing. Personally, these collaborative projects are the ones that I find the most fulfilling because I am able to share the experience with all my coworkers and I get to interact with primary sources in a way that allows me to create a narrative. Luckily, Azalea, the University Library Archivist, gives us the opportunity to frequently work on these types of projects.
| Photo courtesy of Staphany Bravo |
Ever since I began working at the archives, I have explored different facets of historical research that have informed the way in which I view the production of history and memory. My experience here has not only fueled my intellectual interests, it has also inspired me to care more about the importance of preservation inside and outside of academic institutions. As someone who is interested in pursuing a doctorate degree, my experience at the archives has shown me the “behind-the-scenes” aspect of research. It has helped me better understand how archives work from a researcher’s perspective, and I am certain that this will benefit in my future work. Beyond that, I also hope to translate the work into my personal practice of preserving my own family’s history.
Nancy Escalante
M.A. History Student
