My name is Karina Cardenas and am a graduate student completing my M.A. in History this semester. My areas of interest in general are on women of color’s narratives in the United States, urban space, and gender and sexuality studies. Some of my personal interests is listening to podcasts, watching lots of kpop related videos, and going on occasional runs.
![]() |
| Archives Bazaar Courtesy of Staphany Bravo Garcia |
I started
working with Special Collections and Archives this summer in July and have
learned so much and can only look forward to next semester. I was interested in
working in Special Collections since my undergraduate days and am still excited
to work in such an enriching space. Currently, I am processing the Richard
Alatorre Collection who was a public official and an alumni of Cal State Los
Angeles. Another project I am working is the Student Life and Culture
Collection that consists of flyers, information, and posters generously donated
from the Cross Cultural Center. Other than these two larger collections, I have
learned other aspects of Special Collections such as shifting books, making
labels, and the preservation of archival materials. I recently worked with my
coworkers to complete a
Halloween exhibition and hosted a collection day called
“Preserving Y(Our) Story at Cal State LA”. I enjoy both working independently
with collections and also working with my coworkers. My coworkers assisted me
when I initially started and encouraged me to think freely when collaborating
on exhibitions and other projects. Azalea, the University Library Archivist,
creates an inviting and collaborative work space that allows us to work on
various projects together as well. She offers great advice and allows us to
creatively utilize archival materials.
My
experience with Special Collections has develop a greater interest in following
a career as a librarian because it intertwines outreach and research. I have a
strong interest in assisting those who visit our space and learning individual
projects and research interests. I recently participated in the Los Angeles
Archives Bazaar and I enjoyed sharing my insight and knowledge with visitors on
our archival materials. As a Student Assistant, I go beyond research to truly
appreciate the materials and importance Special Collections and Archives has
for various academics. Not only has my experience here helped me decipher my
future career, but inspired me to appreciate my local East L.A. histories.
